17 Mar Install New Office Seating With the Help of MyOffice Commercial Relocation Services
New research suggests that sitting at work all day is detrimental to health.
However, is standing all day any better? Below are pros and cons to each and a look at the best alternative: a sit-to-stand desk.
• Sitting at a desk is comfortable
• Most people are used to sitting at a desk all day and don’t want to change routine
• It is easy to concentrate sitting down because people are accustomed to it
• According to Jason McCann, “Research has shown that prolonged, all-day sitting can lead to dramatically increased risks of heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, obesity, cancer and other chronic health conditions.”
• Martha Grogan, a Cardiologist at Mayo Clinic, said, “For people who sit most of the day, their risk of heart attack is about the same as smoking.”
• Your body burns more calories standing
• A Journal Diabetologia study found that standing can reduce the risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes.
• According to Bustle.com “A European Heart Journal study found that people who stand throughout the day have a lower BMI and waist circumference”
• Prolonged standing can lead to leg, ankle and back pain
• May impair ability to concentrate
• According to a U.S. News Health report, standing “can also boost your risk for carotid arteries, varicose veins, and other cardiovascular problems.”